Opened 8 years ago

Closed 8 years ago

#313 closed defect (fixed)

Super Slowness when loading model list, etc.

Reported by: titus_franzmann Owned by: jeremy
Priority: normal Milestone: future
Component: ultrascan3 Version:
Keywords: Cc: jeremy@…

Description

There seems to be an issue that slows down the communivation between us3 and the database when off-campus.
It takes about 2 minutes for us3 to display the list, when i hit the load model button in e.g. the FE viewer.

Change History (8)

comment:1 in reply to: ↑ description Changed 8 years ago by demeler

  • Owner changed from bdubbs to dzollars

Replying to titus_franzmann:
Previously I confirmed this slowness as an issue that is present both on and off campus, which suggests a design flaw in the search logic that requires review. Dan and Gary, please check into this. Furthermore, there was a serious worsening with this symptom when accessing the database from off-campus addresses. Jeremy: It is important that you pursue this with Infosec to make sure there are no blocks in place that add additional slowness to this search. Please work with Dwane to make sure searches take the same amount of time on and off campus

comment:2 Changed 8 years ago by jeremy

Can one of you (Titus or Bo) give me instructions on how to replicate this?

comment:3 follow-up: Changed 8 years ago by gegorbet

  • Resolution set to duplicate
  • Status changed from new to closed

This ticket is a duplicate of #303. There may be some network/database components to the slowness, but it is primarily a code issue.

Recent fixes to the model_loader utility affected a significant speedup. On Brent's data, a model load was taking nearly 4 minutes. After fixes, it took 14 seconds. I will be committing these changes shortly.

This ticket, meanwhile, is being resolves as a duplicate to #303.

comment:4 in reply to: ↑ 3 Changed 8 years ago by demeler

  • Cc tmfr@… jeremy@… added

Replying to gegorbet:

This ticket is a duplicate of #303. There may be some network/database components to the slowness, but it is primarily a code issue.

Recent fixes to the model_loader utility affected a significant speedup. On Brent's data, a model load was taking nearly 4 minutes. After fixes, it took 14 seconds. I will be committing these changes shortly.

This ticket, meanwhile, is being resolves as a duplicate to #303.

I think this is just half the ticket. There is still a significant and reproducible difference between on-campus searches and remote access to the database. I believe this may still be related to firewall issues with the recent change here. I asked Jeremy to look into this. Jeremy: It is important that you check by using the same US3 version on and off campus.

comment:5 Changed 8 years ago by jeremy

  • Resolution duplicate deleted
  • Status changed from closed to reopened

Gary, I am reopening this ticket because I believe it is system related.

Ran a mysql show status query report and there is something strange happening on the server.

Total         376.80k     7.2/s
  -Unknown     24.11M   459.5/s  %Total: 6399.4
  Com_         22.60M   430.7/s          5998.5
  DMS           1.84M    35.0/s          488.10
  COM_QUIT     48.29k     0.9/s           12.82

Com_           22.60M   430.7/s          5998.5
  set_option   21.94M   418.1/s          5823.2
  call_proced 604.81k    11.5/s          160.51
  change_db    49.64k     0.9/s           13.17

"Com_" should never be that high, it means the server is busy doing system calls instead of queries.

comment:6 Changed 8 years ago by jeremy

In order to find what com_set_option is referring to on USLIMS3, I have edit /etc/my.cnf and added two lines to enable general_logging which will log all set_option and will tell me what the server is doing.

comment:7 Changed 8 years ago by dzollars

  • Cc tmfr@… removed
  • Owner changed from dzollars to jeremy
  • Status changed from reopened to new

comment:8 Changed 8 years ago by demeler

  • Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from new to closed
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.